Welcome!
Don't know what the component values are, but this thread has some good info on cap choices/considerations: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...apacitors.html
GM
Hello, I would like to say I am glad to be here amongst those of like minds.I am a new member of this forum and have questions about the crossover in my A7's.
1. What are the capacitor values in the N500D dividing network/ crossover?
Mine are ganged in a creme colored box and tarred. :
Drivers are 16 ohm 802D and 416A.
Any reccomendations on caps are welcome, I was thinking of experimenting with Mundorfs, Russian Pio or Teflon.
Thanks!
Monte
Welcome!
Don't know what the component values are, but this thread has some good info on cap choices/considerations: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...apacitors.html
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Unfortunately, that is a different crossover. Thanks, for the forward.
I'm well aware it's not and didn't imply that it was, merely that there's a lot of good information on cap selection, etc., not specific values.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
GM, thank you again for cap and link info.![]()
I have the same Altecs, don't waste your money on crazy expensive Mundorfs when you can have very close to the same performance with surplus paper-in-oil caps. Very smooth and transparent, far superior to the Solen caps previously used. My cost for the surplus caps ranged from $2 for 1mfd cap, to $9 for 20mfd.
Sorry don't have the values for the original x-overs they were stolen before purchasing the A7s in '05. Currently using a 1st order XO and exceedingly happy with the performance.
There are a number of other very cost effective, no cost actually, just a little elbow grease, upgrades that bring about stunning improvements in the performance of your A7s.
Being a newcomer to Altecs myself most of the knowledge I've gained about Altecs comes from members of this forum, especially GM. Thanks GM.
Cheers
Gustavo
Thank you, Gustavo. I have some Russian Pio caps that sound great. I will have to check values I have . Can you tell me if you remember that all four caps are of same value? Again, thank you and thanks to GM.
Ramon
Hello Ramon
Here's a schematic I have for an Altec x-o.
Cheers
You're welcome! Seeing the schematic, I'd forgotten that Altec didn't bother to change the N501-8A's model number for the prosound variant which is what this schematic is for.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Thanks for schematic Gustavo.
Also, here is some info posted by R. Taylor of DIY and the Santa Fe Audio Society.
first order 500hz xover for 16 ohm would be ~5.09 mHy coil & 19.89 (20) uF cap
L1 (mHy) = (1000 x Impedance) / (6.283 x Crossover Frequency)
C1 (?fd) = 1,000,000 / (6.283 x Impedance x Crossover Frequency)
if it is first order, and is 500hz, that's what's in there.
or take it out & measure it.
Thank you, Gustavo, R Taylor and GM
Ramon
Bookmarks